This is a lovely starter to make under the broiler, in a griddle pan or on the barbeque. The only difficulty will be wanting to eat too many of these delicious mouthfuls. But fairly large shrimps, but not too big – one or two bites is perfect.
450g (or 1 lb) jumbo shrimp
225g bacon slices
About ½ cup olive oil
½ baguette, sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
Parsley, finely chopped or leave flatleaf
1 lemon wedge
1. Shell the shrimp, if necessary, leaving the tail on and removing the intestinal tract (the black line down the back). Cut the bacon into long strips.
2. Wrap the bacon around the shrimp, securing with toothpicks if necessary.
3. Put the shrimp under the broiler, on the barbeque or in a hot griddle pan until they are cooked thorough and the bacon is beginning to crisp. If you have used raw shrimp, make sure they have turned pink right through the centre.
4. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet until it is fairly hot but not smoking. Carefully add the baguette slices and sauté for 1-2 minutes each side until golden and crisp. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
5. Place the shrimp on top of the fried bread, season with pepper, and serve garnished with parsley and lemon wedge on the side.